I read Megan's blog post about "Should Athletes Be Paid?" Veronica Majeral, and I thought it was great. I thought it really went into how the author felt about the topic, and how she showed it in her article. It was also informative and was clear about what the author thought. The article is about a debate on whether or not college athletes should be played for playing in college athletic programs such as basketball and football. Most people would have wrote about the two sides and which side they agreed with, but Megan told us about the author and which side she sided with.
I found it interesting how she found pieces of evidence that proved that the author sided with the side that says that they should be paid. She uses a piece of evidence that says "There are nights that I go to bed and I'm starving," and then she starts to talk about how this piece of evidence is surprising and is something that you wouldn’t expect a big time athlete’s life to be like. I agree with Megan, I do believe that this fact if life threatening and that if I heard this I would say that they should get paid because they spend their college careers bringing glory to their school and making them proud. Yet, they don’t have enough money to buy food so they’re not hungry.
Megan also writes a paragraph about how the author tries to persuade us to the side that college athletes should get paid. She comments on how popular athletes bring millions of dollars to the colleges along with new recruits and increase alumni donation. I like how she included this piece of evidence in her post because it makes the reader feel resentful of the colleges because the athletes go home starving, while the colleges get all the money and all the benefits of having a good athlete inside their athletic system.The least they could do is give the athletes some money to get food and other necessities.
Megan also puts in her own opinion on what colleges should do and how her point of view changed after reading this article. Her opinion is that they should get paid, but the money should go into trust funds made for the athletes. The players aren’t being treated fairly for all the benefits that they bring to school. I also agree with her thoughts about trust fund because the athletes might blow all their money in one night, this way they can’t.
Thanks Zach
ReplyDeleteZach, can you please make sure the font is easy to read? Black on grey is tough to read. Thanks!
ReplyDelete