My book, The Virgin Suicides, by Jeffrey Euginides, is about the neighborhood boys recalling the past thirteen months where all of the Lisbon girls committed suicide. Cecelia, the youngest was the first one, then came the others. Mr. Lisbon was fired from his job for complaints and after that no one was seen coming or leaving the Lisbon house. The neighborhood boys are invited to go to the Lisbon house and while they're getting impatient they start to explore. They find Bonnie dead in the basement and Therese dead by sleeping pills. Lux is dead from choking to death and Mary is the only one who can be saved. However Mary decides to commit suicide later. I believe that Cecelia was like the trigger, that she was the one who started all of the suicides and her parent helped contribute.
I think that Cecilia was the trigger and the one who started all the suicides because she was the first and all the others followed. Of course their parents letting them have no social lives contributed because they couldn't make friends and became depressed. Cecelia went upstairs during the party and jumped out her bedroom window and was impaled on the garden fence. I think that if Cecelia didn't commit suicide then the other girls wouldn't have because it never would have occured to them to end their own lives. I think their mother, Mrs. Lisbon played a big part in their daughters suicides. She didn't let them out of the house after Lux came home late and she kept them from school. She and her husband were controlling their daughters lives. If they let them have more freedom then their daughters would still be alive. Cecelia should have tried to make friends in school because then she would not have felt so bad about life. A priest said that Cecelia was one of those people who were there, but they weren't really there and that when she jumped she probably thought she would have flew. But I don't think that this is the case, I think that Cecelia knew what she was doing and she was getting prepared for it. The author includes a part about how Cecelia took her time and I think that this time was spent contemplating on whether or not to end her life because she previously tried to cut her wrists and the doctor said it was a social issue. I believe that Cecelia was just done with life.
No comments:
Post a Comment