Sunday, June 7, 2015

Non-fiction critical analysis

Zach Gee
          I read the article "From Rwanda to Harvard," by Michael Wines of the New York Times Upfront Magazine. This article is about how a boy Justus Uwayesu went from being a begger in a dump, and not having taken a shower in over a year to a boy going to Harvard. The article is about the transition from Rwanda to Harvard. The big message in this article is that potential can be found in the most hopeless of places.
        The article says "He's an example of the potential buried even in humanity's most hopeless places----and a reminder of how seldom this potential is mined." What I think this quote means is that even though a place or country might seem hopeless and a place without anything good, there is always something good everywhere. Justus Uwayesu is an example of this buried potential. He was hidden in the midst of all the hopelessness in a dump full of beggers and homeless children. The author also has Justus Uwayesu say "I don't see the future of Rwanda through the past." I think that this quote mean that you have to forget about the past and think about improving the future. I think that he says this because he realizes that the past is set and cannot be changed, but that the future can still be changed and molded so that it can be made better. The author also says "After graduation, he plans to return to Rwanda." I think that this quote shows Justus's goal to help his home get better. He wants to make things better and I like that.
         My opinion on this article is that potential is hidden and all you have to do is find it. You can find it in the most unexpected places. It's like a game of hide and seek. The potential is hidden in places where you wouldn't expect to look. This article has shown me that if you look and search hard enough you will find what you desire. All you need is the want to find whatever it is that you desire and want.

No comments:

Post a Comment